Thursday, September 30, 2010

Birthdays All Around!

Everyone is having a birthday! Not only did the babies have a birthday, but we also had the chance to celebrate two more birthdays within the past week.
September 17th is special around our house for 2 reasons; one, it is Mike's mother's birthday (we will keep her age a secret), and two, it is my little sister Katie's birthday who would have been 31 this year.
It's amazing how we remember the ones who pass on as eternally the age they were at death, even though our lives continue to move forward. As I was thinking about her the other day, it was so hard for me to think about how her life would be today. How many kids she would have, where she would live, what her husband and family would be like. Of course the more I thought about her, the less I was able to hold back the tears. As hard as it was for me to imagine her in a life similar to mine, the fact that she didn't have those things was also very difficult for me to think about. I have been able to experience so many wonderful things in my life that my sister has missed out on. She was taken at a time when her life was just beginning, and had so many dreams yet to be realized. I miss so much being able to call and talk to her. I miss being able to see our children play together. I miss seeing who she would have become and the journey that would have taken her there. As much as her absence in my life hurts, I feel so comforted in the knowledge that although she wasn't able to experience these things here, in this life, that she won't miss out on having all that and more in the next. I know that she will feel the joy and blessings of family, and I will be with her again. I know the blessing of eternal families is real. I feel it each time I look into the eyes of my children, and feel as if my heart will burst from my chest with the love I hold for them. I feel it each time I think of my sister and feel that sweet peaceful calm that overcomes me. I am so thankful for this knowledge, as it helps me get through each Sept. 17th from one year to the next.
So, as we do every year, we sent a balloon off to Katie to wish her a Happy Birthday, and hope it reaches her in Heaven!
As for our other Sept. 17th celebration, since Mike's mom never wants us to make a fuss, we decided to keep our plans a secret. Last Thursday we headed down to Colorado Springs and surprised Grandma with a few birthday goodies. Mike and the boys arrived first with a few balloons and flowers, then Sam, the babies, and I followed soon after once Sam was out of school with a yummy Lion House peach pie from Deseret Book - one of Grandma and Grandpa's favorite places. Grandma was super surprised, and of course the kids always love being in on a little secret. The boys of course yelled "Happy Birthday" as soon as they walked in the door. We were able to stay for dinner and let Grandma and Grandpa enjoy the kiddos for a little while. They have an old little ride on horse that the kids love to play with, and the babies love to explore the house - as far as Grandma will let them get anyway. :) They are always amazed by how much the babies grow between visits. Just before we left we were heading outside and found a mommy and baby dear right in their front yard! The kids are often able to see deer and foxes at their house, but it's still exciting for them, especially when they come so close to the house.
We love visiting Grandma and Grandpa, and unfortunately just don't get down there as often as we'd like. Thanks so much for letting us invade you for an afternoon! Happy Birthday, Grandma Hansen! We love you both tons and are so grateful for all your love and support!

No comments: