Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A time and a season...

Each year when Mother's Day roles around, I look at my children and feel so blessed for the little miracles that they are. I especially love having new babies around on Mother's Day. Of course there are intense feelings of love towards all your children, but the feelings and emotions you have towards your babies are truly something special, in part I think because they are so little for such a short time. My Mother's Days right now are not the relaxing, easy going days I hope they will become one day when the children are older, but the same chaotic craziness that exists every day. I guess my children don't realize I'm supposed to sleep in on Mother's Day. :) I am perfectly content though with the way things are. Yes, it would be nice to stay in bed passed 7:00 once in a while, or to get a complete night's sleep, or even to go 5 minutes without someone needing something, but that all will come, and when it does, I will look back and miss these tired, crazy days when my children were so little and needed me. I'm a big believer in "times and seasons". There is joy to be found in each season of life, and although it is so easy to wish for the time when we used to... or the time when we will be able to..., but in doing so, you miss enjoying the moment.
Every year on Mother's Day my mom sends us a little letter or poem with her thoughts on Motherhood. In case you don't know my mom, she is truly an amazing person! Honestly, there isn't anything she can't do. She is an amazing artist, a talented writer, a beautiful singer (she almost went pro when she was younger), and super creative, just to name a few of her many talents. So, each year her letters take on a different format, and are truly literary masterpieces. Her letter this year talked about the various stages of motherhood and how with each stage she thought that it would never get any harder, and then it always did.
Sometimes I too think, "can it really get any harder than this, with 5 little ones and two young sets of twins?" But, I do know it will get harder. But with those new challenges, will also come new joys. It is my time and season to have a loud, messy, chaotic house, with 5 voices needing me at once, to be sleep deprived, and to find little time to myself. But this too will pass, and when it does, I'm not so sure I will welcome it. I love having little ones. I love the crazy, silly things they do. I love watching them grow and learn and wonder at the world. I love the sweet giggles and smiles my babies give me for no reason at all. And I love their sweet faces when I am the only one that can dry their tears. I love being a mother and feel so blessed the Lord has trusted me with these little spirits. They truly are miracles!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Enjoyed reading your post Kelsey and I bet your kids will love reading it too when they get older. Wishing you one morning when you get to stay in bed after 7am in the near future just to surprise you.:)

Camilla Millar said...

That is a great picture! Happy belated Mom's day to a great mom-you.